Monday, March 4, 2013

A Little Regret?

Throughout most of this process, I have happily booked several vendors after meeting with only one, and have not looked back.  But this last weekend we went to a cake tasting and booked the cake vendor without meeting with any others, and I'm starting to question that decision.

This particular baker has always been on my list.  I heard about them years and years ago, and always dreamed of having one of their beautiful cakes at some event.  I have no doubt they will make a pretty cake, and it will taste pretty good.  But something is just nagging at me.

The tastes we got of the cake were decent.  We liked some of the flavors, and really disliked a couple.  But it wasn't as perfect and soft of a crumb as I hoped.  Then we went into a consultation, and just started making decisions really fast.  I like the concept of the cake we came up with.  I wanted something with different height tiers, and we figured out a way to make that happen.

I like the varying heights of this cake, though both the top and bottom of ours will be the height of the bottom tier here.  Image via WeddingChicks.com

But for one of the tiers I want chevron, and their plan is to print the pattern on edible paper.  I kind of had my heart set on fondant cut out and applied to the cake, but didn't speak up for fear of making it outrageously expensive.

The center tier will be an ombre chevron like this, but all one tier and round.  This looks like the fondant might have the chevron built in, though.  Image via NYMag.com

The top tier here has the texture with the chevron fondant applied on top that I like.  Image via BridalSnob.tumblr.com

So I'm at a crossroads.  We put down a deposit of $50, and I feel like we rushed into this way too quickly.  I don't want to say we were pushed to make a decision, but I am starting to regret jumping into it.  The cake wasn't as delicious as I hoped, and I don't know if it will look how I want.  What to do?  Would it be weird to go to other tastings?  Is it worth it to find a cake we'll be 100% happy with and lose our deposit?  I just can't decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment