Thursday, May 2, 2013

Family

I love my family.  I was blessed to be born into a loving, fun, and just overall wonderful family.  My parents are amazing.  My brother, who is actually staying with us right now, is the coolest kid, incredibly smart and funny, and just all around a great guy (ladies, he's single!!!).  I'm so happy my brother will be my "bridesdude," and that my parents are enjoying planning this wedding so much.

I have cousins, and aunts and uncles, spread all over the US, but they all are kind, caring, and hilarious people.  Seeing them, even if it has been years, feels right and you settle back into familial relationships.  I have cousins and and aunt and uncle who live closer too, who feel basically like an extension of my immediate family.  We celebrate all birthdays and most holidays together.

And then more than anything, I am super lucky to have all four of my grandparents living still.  They all live about 8 hours away, and I've discussed before that I don't think my mom's parents will be able to make the wedding.  But my dad's parents?  The grandparents who recently took a 6 month trip across the US in an RV, who are incredibly self sufficient in and decent health?  Well, I was certain they would be at the wedding!

But life happens, and throws a wrench in my plans.  I don't know why I assumed my elite status as a grandchild with all grandparents living and healthy would never change.  But it might very soon.

My grandma, my Gammy, is in the hospital.  She fell and hit her head, had cranial bleeding and broke her spine in a couple spots.  So she had surgery for that, and it went well.  The next day, however, she had a stroke, and kept having mini strokes.  She currently doesn't recognize any of her family, and isn't terribly responsive.  It's really weird.  Physically, she is pretty much fine now, but because of the surgery they can't treat the stroke.  Which means I might never get my Gammy back.  I might never again hear her crazy sneeze, or get a big bear hug, or hear her talk about all sorts of people I never remember.  It's weird.  It's weirder still for my grandpa, Papa.  Seeing him alone?  It's just so weird.

Dino lost both of his grandmas in the past few years, which has been strange to me.  So now, I don't know if we'll have a single grandma at our wedding, which sounds crazy self centered and lame, but I can't bear to think of not getting a picture with Gammy, or having her there.  I see that picture with the hands of three generations of women and their rings, and I probably won't get that photo for myself.  I'm so glad she got to meet Steve, and that she liked him.

Mostly, its the suddenness.  Sure, my grandparents have been getting older, and she's been slowing down, but they're still travelling all the time!  I went to see her today, and it's not the same person at all in that hospital bed.  So strange.

Whatever happens, I am glad my family is around her and we will be there for each other as well.  I am hoping for a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment