Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Post-Wedding Emotions

The day after the wedding was kind of a haze.  We woke up and had brunch with my out of town family.  We went home and unloaded all kinds of boxes of stuff.  And the mound of presents was huge!  We opened the gifts, but didn't keep a list and planned to just come back to it later (stupid!).  Then we packed up for the honeymoon and were dropped off at the airport.

At the airport, we finally had time to breathe and chill.  Our flight wasn't until midnight, so we had awhile to hang out.  At that point, I started actually thinking about how we were married, and how my name is different now.  It was weird.  And I was sleep deprived and probably a little overwhelmed by all the love from the previous day, so it wasn't the best time to process everything.

It's such a crazy huge thing, though.  My name that I've identified myself with for 27 years is now history.  I have a new name, one that doesn't feel nearly as comfortable, nearly as "ME" as my old one.  It's something to grow into.

I think I was a little bit in a daze here too!  Photo by Jenny GG

Now it's been over a month since the wedding, and it feels almost as if it was a dream.  Or like that day was the dress rehearsal.  It feels like there should have been some huge momentous shift, something that physically changed, or like it should have been more of an ordeal.  Instead it was pretty easy, and once we got home from the honeymoon, aside from new titles (I have barely referred to "my husband" but each time it weirds me out!), it feels like before the wedding.  We're still the same people, we're still committed the same amount (truly, we were already in this for the long haul), and we just happened to have thrown a crazy awesome party.

I am grateful for such an awesome day, and so glad it went well, but...  it feels like it was so long ago!  Looking at the photos again certainly helps.  Remembering the feelings too.  But when I look back, sometimes it doesn't seem real or doesn't seem as significant as it should be.  I don't know if it ever will!  Maybe when we have some pictures up on our walls, or I get to introduce my "husband" more.  Maybe it still hasn't sunk in really.  Who knows!

Is this normal?  Or do most people feel a huge change once the wedding is over and the marriage has started?

No comments:

Post a Comment