Friday, March 8, 2013

An easy decision, but weird consequences...

Dino's dad is a pastor.  He essentially retired, and then decided to go back to school, and become a Lutheran pastor.  Interesting fact, Dino grew up as a Methodist, but it is simpler (I guess) to become a Lutheran pastor than a Methodist one, so that is why my FFIL decided to go that route.  I personally grew up in a Baptist church, with occasional visits to Lutheran churches with family.  But I'm getting off topic.  His dad is a pastor, which made one wedding planning decision incredibly easy!

Guess who will be marrying us!  Yep, Dino's dad, my future-father-in-law, will be officiating at our ceremony.  He performed a wedding or two last summer, so he has a little experience even!  Plus he is a wonderful guy, has a loud voice, and will be able to make our ceremony even more personal.  I have no idea how people choose an officiant that they don't know to take the helm at such a big, personal event.  (Side note: we attended a good friend's wedding who had an officiant go off on weird tangents, talking about how homosexuality was wrong and how wives need to obey their husbands...  it was awkward and kind of awful!)

But this leads to a question I have.  I love the idea of pre-marital counselling.  Some discussion to make sure you're on the same page as your future-spouse, and maybe even, I don't know, a confirmation that you're making the right decision?  I really want to do that.  And usually your officiant arranges that.  But as much as I love my future-father-in-law, I am not so sure about discussing private stuff with him.  He did, however, say he would be sending us some stuff to talk about and work through, so maybe that will be okay.  But I'm a little nervous about that.

Overall, though, I consider us really lucky that we have a fantastic officiant who is part of the family as well as a religious leader.  It makes me so happy to have this option!

No comments:

Post a Comment