Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Internet is Not Real Life

Just had to pop back in.  Last summer I attended my cousin's wedding in Chicago, and they were just blogged!  Here is Jackie & Andrew's Wedding!  It was a beautiful day, and the photos show that.

When I was at the wedding, it was kind of like an undercover spy situation, scoping out the details, what I liked and what I would pass on for my own wedding.  Plus weddings are always just so much fun, filled with love and joy.  But anyway, it was truly a beautiful wedding, and great fun!

However it is interesting to see it from a blog's perspective.  Yes, my cousin and his wife are there, looking amazing and totally in love.  And yes I still have the rock with my name on it, and I did write my name on a leaf for the guestbook.  And it was as fun as the dancing pictures show, and had lots of beautiful personal details during the whole event, like the herbs and such.

But the blog paints a perfect picture, of a perfect day.  Not saying it was bad, because it totally wasn't!  But every event has it's quirks.  In this case, the weather wasn't stellar, though it was great for pictures!  It was chillier than expected.  It didn't show that there were some microphone issues, which I only barely remember because it hurt my ears a couple times!  The glass crushing didn't go as smoothly as the photos show, if I remember correctly.  And the meal was served later than I expected, so our table was starving!

None of that took away from the day, though.  I went away thinking how happy I was for them that they had made this amazing commitment, and how thoroughly I had enjoyed myself.  It wasn't until I saw the blog post that I even remembered some of these things.

It's hard to keep in mind that blog posts only show the best of a wedding.  The most perfect photos.  I don't want to fall into the trap of comparing my wedding, when it happens, to beautiful weddings from blogs. And some things that photograph so beautifully might feel a little staged or unnecessary in person.  To me, getting pretty pictures is important, but most of all I want everything to feel authentic for us and for our guests.  I don't doubt that couples in blog posts are really in love as much as the photos show, but now I'm starting to be more skeptical about how seamlessly their days seem to go.

It isn't fair to compare yourself or anyone else to a blog post, where they handpicked the most beautiful images of the day.  It's hard not to, but now I'm really trying to keep things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment