Monday, September 17, 2012

Growing Old Together

Today I found a blog that has touched me so much more than I expected.  It is written by a woman who is later in life, having been married for over 50 years and raising 3 kids.  Earlier this year, her husband died.  It struck so many chords with me to read from before his passing to now, how she is dealing and what life is like for her.  It was simply amazing, and she was so well spoken/written.

Right now, in my life, we're so excited and looking forward to spending the rest of our lives together, but it is so scary and sad to think about how that won't be forever.  I used to have trouble relying on another person, but now... I have turned almost clingy and rely so much on him being there.  I can't even imagine the pain this woman is going through, waking up each morning only to realize he's not there, cooking alone for one, not having a companion to go on adventures with and to joke with and talk with.  Of course, after illness and pain, death can be a relief in some ways, but I can't imagine it would be easy in the slightest to lose someone you love, no matter the circumstances.

I know this is depressing, but I don't think we really examine the whole "'til death do us part" aspect of marriage.  What comes after?  We're vowing to be there together, through thick and thin, up until one or the other spouse dies.  Then what?  I don't have an answer to that question, and it sucks to think about, but I will be pondering it for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment