Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Some little things

It sounds little, but I now have inspiration for my first DIY project!  A long time ago, I saw a picture of rings tied to a tree for a ring warming.  Maybe something like this (although I feel like the original one I saw was just rings on the tree with a sign, no heart and stuff - though this is very cute!)

From the first moment I heard about ring warmings, I love it, but didn't like the idea of taking time in the ceremony to pass the rings though everyone.  Especially not at a wedding with 175 guests (or so!).  This idea of having the rings in a location as the guests come in seems much more doable, and I love it!  One problem: our ceremony will be taking place outside on the lawn, where there is not a single tree in a convenient location.  So, aside from bringing in our own tree (which we might do elsewhere...  stay tuned!), this idea wasn't going to work exactly like this.

But I wasn't about to give up on the idea of a ring warming prior to the ceremony!  No way Jose.  I figured I probably want a guest book or at least programs set up outside for guests to stop at before taking a seat for the ceremony, so I'll probably have a table out there, right?  Perfect!  So, guests will approach the table, sign a guest book, see the rings and a sign informing them what to do for the ring warming, and then grab a program.  All at one station!

So I won't have a tree to hang the rings from, but I still like the idea of a tree-like-object, and I still want them to hang, rather than be loose in a bowl or something.  At the mall on Saturday I saw something that inspired me to start thinking seriously about making such a tree-like-object to hang the rings from, and I snuck a picture:
Picture by me, from inside Fuego

It is essentially a jewelry holder, but I intend to make a similar structure, altered to better fit my purposes.  I don't want the leaf bowl at the bottom, and maybe we can incorporate some real flowers and leaves into my version, but I love the curved stem.  I'm thinking to make it out of thick wire, with some help from Dino and my MOH.  It might take a few tries, but I have a feeling it will be worth it to get exactly what I'm envisioning!

So I might finally start dipping my toes in the DIY pool.  I am so glad!

Next up, deciding on fonts and overall looks (chevrons maybe?!?!?!) to let me start taking on MORE DIY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment