Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Losing weight!

You might have gathered from the last post that I am hoping to feel better about myself in pictures for the wedding.  One way I might accomplish this is to lose some weight!

When I met Dino, almost 4 years ago, I was at my thinnest.  I'm not shy, so I will tell you my weight then...  155.  Not exactly teensy tiny, not even really skinny, but I felt good, clothes fit pretty well, and I was happy with that.  I was working out a couple times a week, and was trying to make good food decisions.  Living at home helped, since my dad was preparing my dinners (he's a fabulous cook!).  Plus I was commuting 2+ hours a day to and from work, and walking from train station to bus to work and all that, so that helped keep me from eating as much.
 
On a cruise about 6 months after we met.  No one will ever see a picture of my belly again!  (Personal Photo)

Shortly thereafter, I moved out on my own.  I started walking roughly a mile each way to work, but I also had more time to sit at home on my behind and eat crap.  A gym was put in our office building a few months after I moved, so I started going there to work out after work about three times a week.  Not terrible, but I was making worse food choices.  Also, simply just having a steady relationship where we went out to eat and had eating as the central activity for dates doesn't help.  I didn't start gaining much until after we'd been together a year, at which point I had pneumonia after a bout with swine flu (yes!  Fun!), which left me with a little asthma for a bit, and little motivation.

On our next cruise, about a year later.  My belly looks a bit bigger :(  (Personal Photo)

Then I quit my job and moved in with Dino.  I started working out almost every day, doing the 30 Day Shred, but had terrible results because I used that as a justification to eat terribly.  Awful habits were formed, and suddenly I was getting bigger and bigger without knowing how to stop it!  

At my good friend's wedding as a bridesmaid about 6 months after moving in with Dino.  I was so glad the dress that I had bought about 6 months prior still fit!  (Personal Photo)

Us in Hawaii just days before getting engaged.  I feel like I look like a hippo in this picture!  So not the look I'm going for.  (Personal Photo)

Since then, I've been around the same weight.  I've tried to get in to running after getting engaged (and was starting to enjoy it!), but was stopped last spring when my foot suddenly started to hurt.  I'd apparently developed arthritis in my toe.  Talk about a good excuse to stop exercising.  Now whenever I am on my feet for any period of time, my toe ends up swollen and painful the next day or two.  

So now I'm a little stumped.  I think I would like to start going to the gym again, as I really saw results for awhile there.  But most importantly I need to start eating healthier and less.  I really want to make a positive change in my life and health.  My love of sweets and arthritis foot, however, make the challenge more difficult than it ever has been before.  I need some suggestions for exercising that doesn't put me on my feet for too long and some good recipes to turn to!

No comments:

Post a Comment