Friday, February 8, 2013

My Finger Bling

So waaaaay back, I'm talking about a year ago, Dino and I were on the tropical island of Hawaii (with his family), when he asked me a very important question and gave me the most important piece of jewelry I've ever owned.  Yep, that's when he proposed, and I put my ring on for the very first time!

An "artsy" photo by Dino, showing the original setting for my ring.  Personal Photo

Another shot of the ring, simple and pretty!  Personal Photo

Dino picked out the ring by himself, without consulting anyone at all!  Okay, that is a lie.  The sneaky boy knew that I had created a little slideshow on my Google Drive of various rings that I liked, with lots of pictures of sparkly things, so I could send it to my best friend in case he ever asked.  Well, since he knew this slideshow existed, he logged onto my computer and swiped the slideshow one day when I was out!  So sneaky!  But other than that, he went to the jewelry stores alone and picked out a beautiful half carat emerald cut diamond, which he had set in a "presentation setting."

Now, I know not every place might not have this available, but the presentation setting was ingenious!  With it, Dino was able to propose with an actual ring, and with the actual stone, but then I got the chance to be involved in picking out the setting.  It was awesome.

Actually picking out the setting, though, was a little overwhelming.  I have giant man hands, apparently, so my size 8.5 ring finger wouldn't fit any of the settings in store, but I got the gist.  On probably our third trip, I had my choices narrowed down to a halo setting and a different, unique setting.  I liked the halo, but since my stone is rectangular, I thought it looked ever so slightly weird in the round halo (but surprisingly not as bad as I expected).  The other setting was beautiful, delicate, but still had a good size so it wouldn't be lost on my giant hands.  The downside to this one was that I was afraid the sides kind of sort of looked like the Jesus fish.

In the end, I decided the unique factor of the Jesus fish ring trumped the trendy halo ring, which I worried would appear outdated at some point (although maybe not!  Who knows!).  I am soooo so glad I made that decision, as my ring just looks right, not like a Jesus fish anymore.  It is just me.

My beautiful ring on my hand!  Personal Photo

An artsy picture of my beautiful Jesus Fish ring :)  Personal Photo

Funny story, my ring really isn't nearly as unique as I thought it was: a couple months ago on my photographer's blog, she posted a photo she took of one of her brides' rings, and it was nearly identical to mine!  Same setting, emerald cut stone, the only difference was that the stone was a bit bigger than mine...  Oh well!

1 comment: