Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Thing about Traditions...

I think traditions exist for a reason.  I mean, they probably came from something crazy and superstitious, but there has to be a reason we keep them up, other than just for the sake of "tradition."

When we first started wedding planning, I was ready to throw all the traditions out the window!  No, I don't want to be walked down the aisle by my father.  No I don't want to do a father/daughter mother/son dance.  No I don't want to throw a bouquet or garter.  Etc. etc.  But now I'm starting to change my mind.

My dad and me, waaaay back in the day.  Personal Photo

I've never really been a daddy's girl, always kind of kept my distance somehow.  My mom and I are fairly close, but still probably not best friends or anything.  But I love my parents, and want to make these memories with them.  I want to look back on the pictures and see their smiles and see their hugs and everything.  I don't really believe my dad will be giving me away at the ceremony, but I think it is important to honor both him and my mom in the work they did to raise me.

At a friend's bachelorette party, we all wore sparkly rings!  Personal Photo

As far as the bouquet and garter tosses, I'm still not 100% decided.  They won't really show who will be getting married next, of course, but they can be fun!  I've always enjoyed trying to catch the bouquet, even though it can be a little awkward (as in, don't try too hard, or else you might freak out your boyfriend!).  And the garter shenanigans can be a little uncomfortable, since I'm not really keen on my family seeing my new husband groping around up my skirt.  But it can be fun to have a little competition, a little break in the dancing.  Another thing to do at the wedding, rather than just eat and dance.  I don't want people to get bored, and these traditions would provide a little entertainment.

Such a cute cake!  I've had this pinned for ages...  Image via TheFauxMartha.com

The cake cutting is one tradition I have always known we would have to keep.  I believe it is supposed to show you working together, but the most important part of this tradition to me is that you get to eat cake!  I love cake too much to skip this!  It also provides a little entertainment for the crowd, a little "will he smash it in her face?  Will she smash it in his?" uncertainty.  Plus we're going to be spending a chunk of money on this cake, so I want everyone to look at it and let it have it's moment in the spotlight before it is devoured!

I feel like I have barely scratched the surface regarding all the traditions involved in weddings, but these are pretty big ones.  I am slowly changing my mind about some traditions, including more than I expected.  But as much as I want to be different and a unique snowflake, weddings are a good time to show people you love them, and make special memories.  I think that is the most important.

Did you surprise yourself by wanting to keep, or even get rid of, certain traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment