Saturday, February 9, 2013

With this Ring

Well, I already have a snazzy engagement ring on my finger, but it will be getting a friend in a few short months!

Just to remind you what my beautiful ring looks like!  Personal Photo

Dino and I took an excursion to the jewelry store recently to get an idea for what we want for our rings.  He had determined he wanted something fairly simple, fairly plain, and not too big.  He has funny shaped fingers, with huge knuckles and tiny fingers in between, and the web between his fingers is really big!  So I'm really worried about finding him something comfortable.  Plus he works in an industry that deals with manufacturing and testing things, which means he visits a lab with lots of heavy machinery and lots of opportunity for accidents, so he wants something that won't cause an issue.

Dino was liking something kind of like this...  Simple, thin, classy.  Image via ShaneCo.com

With that, we ruled out those super hard metals, like Tungsten, since those could be dangerous for him.  He really liked a Cobalt ring they had, and the fact that you could brush the finish or have it polished, and the jewelry store would do that for free (as often as you like!  So if you changed your mind you could have it brushed one year, polished the next, and back and forth!).  But then he did some research and found conflicting information about possible allergies related to cobalt, and hardness issues.

I think we need to go back sometime and talk with the jewelry store some more about our options.  It's also tough to decide since the one at the store was almost $400, but you can get something similar on Amazon for about $25.

I took a solo trip to the jewelry store the other day as well, to scout out rings when it was less busy (apparently right before Valentine's Day is not the ideal time to be just looking at a jewelry store...).  While there, I found one I really really like!  It is simple, straight across, and matches the pave stones on my engagement ring.

Pretty!  Image via ShaneCo.com

I really like it, and I like that because it isn't curved, I will be able to wear it alone if I so choose.  It was tough, though, because the curved band did look pretty nice against my ring, but this one didn't look too weird.  On the inside of my hand, though, there will be a gap if I want the rings to sit flush on the back of my finger.  My engagement ring is like 3 times wider on the back of my hand than on the inside, which I love and is so comfortable, but they don't exactly make wedding bands to fit that.

I also had liked the look of some twisted bands online, so I want to see if I can see them in store against my ring sometime as well.

This one is quite pretty too, and I like that it mimics the intertwined-ness of my engagement ring.  Image via ShaneCo.com

Next step will be to head back to the jewelry store, both of us, to have another look!  Probably after the Valentine's Day madness is over, though...

Anyone else have a hard time finding a wedding band that would go with their engagement ring?  So many people already think my ring is basically a wedding ring (it does kind of look like it could be two...), would it be strange to just not get another ring?  Or maybe just a separate ring that I could wear instead of this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment