Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wedding Expert?

When I first got engaged a year ago, I had already been reading wedding blogs for quite awhile.  I was obsessed with weddings and ready to dive in.  Though, really, I just waded in slowly, and appreciated our long engagement.  But I also still felt a lot more lost than I expected.

I'm going to throw in some photos of bouquets to break up the text!

 Love the colors and textures in this bouquet.  Image via RebeccasSilverRose.com

Most brides are planning their first wedding.  Though some have been married before, and some may work in the industry, a lot haven't planned a big party like this before.  Especially not a party full of loaded emotions and expectations like a wedding.  So many vendors and magazines and blogs are telling them what to do and what to like, and it can be hard to find yourself and navigate the waters effectively and easily.  It's pretty stressful.

Lots of dahlias!  And the yellow is kind of fun and bright.  Image via SpringWellGardens.blogspot.com

It took us awhile to figure out what we wanted our wedding to be like.  Dino and I had slightly different ideas, pertaining to formality and such, but we discussed that and started making decisions.  I started making spreadsheets, which is the only way I know to feel like I'm organized and on top of things.  I still felt like I was floundering, and just making decisions on whims occasionally.

This is what I plan to do - mix brooches with real flowers.  Image via FancyPantsWeddings.com

But I think that is okay.  I saved myself stress by making decisions quickly on the venue, photographer, dj, and even the caterer.  They might not have been the best deal in each instance, but I believe they were good decisions.  And now I have some more insight into the wedding planning process.

Another example of the mixed medium bouquet that I like.  Image via TrishaDean.blogspot.com

Over the past few months, SO MANY of my friends have gotten engaged!  It is fantastic.  But since I've been engaged for awhile, I'm starting to feel like the aged, wise, near-expert in weddings.  I think I've gotten a little cocky.  But it is crazy how in just one year I've learned so much!

I like the looser look of this bouquet quite a bit, it is a little more free and natural looking.  Image via AzaleaFloralDesign.blogspot.com

At the wedding I attended last summer, both my cousin who had been married for about 6 months and my new cousin-in-law were telling me they wanted to help out if they could, and how much they missed wedding planning already.  I thought they were just saying that, but I think it might be true.  I would LOVE to be a resource for my newly engaged friends, and anyone else who needs help.  I plan to post my spreadsheets online after my wedding, so others can use my resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment