Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Blog Everyday in April #16

This one doesn't 100% apply to me yet, but... What did your parents teach you about being a parent?
Since I'm not yet a parent, I have no idea what all goes into parenting.  I have ideas, but I'm sure my parents taught me much more than I realize.  That said, what I learned from them about parenting is random.  

  • I learned that family units are flexible.  My dad stayed home with me during the day when I was little, and my mom has always always worked.  My dad worked nights for awhile, which I'm sure was really tough, but they both made it work.  My dad has always been the chef too, and my mom can barely cook, which goes to show the gender stereotypes don't always apply.  So I've learned that you make it work for you, no matter what the norm is.
  • Always eat dinner as a family at the dinner table.  We sat down every night to a meal at the table.  It was a nice chance to reconnect, talk about our days, and decompress.  It was really nice!
  • Love is the most important thing.  My mom always greets me with a hug and a kiss, and is always so happy to see me!  And it's always been like that!  It makes me feel like I'm so important and loved.
  • Support your kids no matter what.  My parents fought for me to get a specific kindergarten teacher because she was a better fit for me.  They fought for me to take the gifted test over when I failed it on purpose (I know...).  The were always there for my sport events, plays, concerts, whatever else I was involved in.  They took my crazy whims seriously, and encouraged me to follow my heart.  I never felt like I had to disobey them, because they gave me a good amount of freedom and wanted the best for me, and I knew it.
That's what comes to mind now, but I know I've learned a lot more from them.  And if/when I someday have my own kid(s), I'll probably realize so many other things they taught me!  

Did it take becoming a parent to reveal all that your parents taught you?  
april

No comments:

Post a Comment