Friday, April 18, 2014

Blog Everyday in April #18

Today's prompt is: Tell me about your first love. (Age, how did you meet, how long were you together)

I'm not sure if it's lame or sweet, but my first love is truly my husband.  I never really dated before him, just had crushes but was too shy to pursue them, and was very hesitant to allow myself to fall in love and expose my heart like that.
I met my now-husband online at age 22 (he was an older man at 25).  I decided I needed to live a little, experience life, and meet some guys, really just wanting to date a couple guys to learn more about dating and stuff.  So I joined Match.com, made a profile, and proceeded to be too scared to meet anyone in person for a couple months.  I chatted via email, but wasn't sure how to take the next step.  Ended up going on a date with one guy (roller skating.  He didn't ask me a single question all night, and it was crazy awkward.) that didn't work out.   Then I went on two dates with another guy (I was starting to like him!  But I was a virgin, and his last girlfriend was a virgin, so apparently that wasn't going to work for him) that didn't end up working out (he kind of broke my heart a little to feel that rejection for the first time).

Then this other boy (who I had been kind of messaging since Thanksgiving, and it was now January) and I made plans to meet up, but he had to cancel at the last minute because he wasn't feeling well.   We rescheduled for the next weekend, and met at the Parlor in Bellevue to play pool.  I remember so many nerves as I rode the escalator up, and saw this adorable guy casually leaning against the partition.  I couldn't believe I was meeting HIM!  (He remembers that I was crazy shy that night, he had to keep asking me questions to get me talking, but I maintain that I was fairly talkative, but since I was concentrating on playing pool I wasn't as good at keeping the conversation up.)  The date went really well, and we decided to see a movie too (Gran Torino, the most romantic movie of all time...  not).

The first photo of us, from our 3rd date (Winotines!  Wine/beer tasting after Valentine's day!)  Personal Photo

I was pretty intense about wanting to just have fun, not take it too seriously, so a couple dates later he mentioned that so many of his friends are married and he was hoping to get married soon too (which he denies saying, but I specifically remember him bringing it up!), and it kind of freaked me out!  But I really liked him, and we kept hanging out, and about a month after meeting he asked if he could call me his girlfriend.  It still took me awhile to really think he might be the one, I was resisting it quite a bit, but now I can't imagine not having him in my life.  And we've now been together for over 5 years, married for almost 8 months!  And I'm hoping we'll be together for many many many more years.

I'm kind of glad I haven't had to go through a ton of heartbreak and wasted time with other guys, and everything has worked out really well.

I mean, I'd say it's worked out pretty well so far!  Photo by Jenny GG

Sorry for the novel, but it's a fun topic to write about!  Tell me I'm not alone in marrying my first love...  
april

No comments:

Post a Comment