Monday, April 21, 2014

Blog Everyday in April #21

Today's prompt is something I've been thinking about a lot lately.  Do you have kids; if yes tell us about them, if not do you plan to one day?
We don't have kids.  Yet?  Yet.  It's a big decision, and will certainly alter our life significantly to procreate.  Dino definitely wants kids.  I am somewhat on the fence, but feel like I do want to have kids.  Someday.

I was recently thinking about how our friends who are about our age and have two kids, aged 6 and 3, will be empty nesters long before we will!

As soon as my mom's brain tumor was diagnosed I had a crazy thought that we had to have kids RIGHT THAT SECOND so I could make sure my mom knew her grandkids, and my kids knew their grandma.  She's doing better, so it doesn't feel quite as urgent, but it makes me wonder what we're waiting for.  I also had awhile there where the only justifiable way I could quit my job would be if I had a kid, so that seemed like a good idea.

But then there are the reasons I'm not ready.  My #1 biggest fear in the world is throwing up.  Awful.  And I hear that while pregnant, the chances of vomiting are much higher.  And then once you have kids, they do get sick and puke once in awhile.  And they bring home germs that not only can get them sick, but everyone else in the family.  Seeing my friends with kids and how much they all get sick makes me really nervous.  (I was told by another friend with kids that while it's not pleasant, after morning sickness and all that, she's really good at throwing up now, so it's not as big of a deal.  But...  do I want that?).

And there's all the responsibility (having a dog is so much more responsibility than I'm used to already!) and I'm worried about that, and I don't want Dino's and my marriage to be strained, and I hate missing sleep (though I hear your body can cope with that), and it's expensive, and what if they are disabled or something tragic happens...  So there are still a lot of cons on the top of my list.

But I definitely want to have kids when I'm older, I think.  Like, I don't want to grow old and not have someone to visit me, or not have someone to call and live vicariously through!  Plus babies are so darn cute.  I mean, not when they're wailing and spitting up, but the rest of the time...  I get these urges to want to take care of another being, but it's a pretty full time job, so I'm not sure I really want that.

So my answer is...  I'll probably have kids.  Like, 95% yes.  But I'm still definitely hesitant and nervous about it...
april

No comments:

Post a Comment