Thursday, April 17, 2014

Blog Everyday in April #17

Hmm, this one brings me back to the book recommendation...  Share something you’ve read that really spoke to you and why.
Honestly, What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty, the same book I mentioned on an earlier day's response, really spoke to me.  Just the idea of being thankful and aware of what you have and not taking your relationships for granted really resonated and felt like a big lesson to me.   But since I already talked about that, I'll bring up another book.

Photo via Amazon.com

We read another book in our Book Club that hit me pretty hard.  Me Before You by JoJo Moyes was a really lovely book.  It's the story of a regular girl, just trying to make it, who loses her job at a cafe and has to find work, so she ends up as a caretaker for a young man who was hit by a car and is now a quadriplegic.  He has closed himself off to the world, tried to commit suicide, and made a pact with his mom that he'd give her six more months, and then if he still wanted to die, she would take him to a place that helped with that.  So the girl comes in, finds out about the plot, and does her best to take his mind off of how kind of terrible his life is now.  And along the way, of course they fall in love.

The story is intense, really, well written and opened my eyes to what people go through who were active and independent, but now are dependent on someone else for everything and go through so much pain.  You start out really cheering for the girl, hoping she can change his mind, but then start questioning if that really is the best result.  I felt so conflicted for a long portion of the book.  The world isn't a black and white place, and this book eloquently shows how gray it can be.

So that is basically another book recommendation, but both really affected me (I bawled while reading both!) and taught me something!
april

No comments:

Post a Comment